Even though WHM and cPanel are said to be tied to each other, they function as two different systems. What is the difference between WebHost Manager (WHM) and cPanel this video explains the difference between the two systems plus guide you on navigating between the two systems.
Web Host Manager or more commonly known as WHM is a resellers control panel. It is what reseller customers use to manage all the hosting accounts in their reseller plan. cPanel on the other hand, is the end user’s control panel. It is what the reseller’s customers use to manage their individual hosting accounts. We are currently logged in to WHM, so let’s go take a look at a list of hosting accounts in this reseller plan.
Web hosting providers use Web Host Manager or more commonly known as WHM to manage their customers’s accounts. This system is used as an accounts management tool where a web host will create and manage their client’s accounts. It’s a resellers control panel. It is what reseller customers use to manage all the hosting accounts in their reseller plan.Where as cPanel is used as a site management tool which allows each individual account owner to manage settings of each of their accounts.
- Click the account information link.
- Then click the list accounts link. This is a list of accounts in this WHM’s reseller plan. Once again, each of these accounts have their own individual cPanel, and we can login to their cPanel by clicking the corresponding link.
- Let’s login to the cPanel for mydomain.com
- That’s it! As you can see here, we’re now in the cPanel control panel for the mydomain.com hosting account.
- Ok, now let’s close this window and return to WHM. Resellers have the ability to login to their customer’s cPanel control panels without their username or password. This can be useful in helping customers learn how to use their cPanel. Welcome back to WHM.(WebHost Manager)
What is the difference between Web Hosting and Manager (WHM and cPanel)
This is the end of the tutorial. You now know the difference between cPanel (end user’s control panel) and WHM (reseller’s control panel).