To use the Index Manager in your control panel, please watch this flash tutorial: How to use the Index Manager in cPanel
The Index Manager enables you to control how directories in your website are displayed.If there is no index.html file in a given directory, the contents of that directory will be displayed in a browser. This is typically undesirable, and can cause security issues. With Index Manager, you can set up your account to not allow your directory contents to be shown. Let’s learn how to set it up in cPanel!
- Log into cPanel and Click the Index Manager icon under the Advanced category.
- Choose the directory you want to start with, then click Go.
- Let’s setup Index Manager for the clients directory
- Let’s setup Index Manager for the clients directory. There are 4 settings to choose from:
- Default System Setting – allows the directory contents to be shown
- No Indexing - does not allow directory contents to be shown
- Standard Indexing (filename only) - prevents browsers from viewing the contents of directories that do not contain image files
- Fancying Indexing - prevents browsers from viewing the contents of directories that do contain image files
Since we do not want the contents of this directory shown, choose “No Indexing”
- Then click Save
- That’s it! The Index settings have been updated, and visitors can no longer view the contents of the clients directory. Now let’s change the setting back to default, thus allowing visitors to view the contents of this directory.
How to use the Index Manager in cPanel?
That’s all there is to it! You just learned to setup index directory protection with any of your directories. More of Advanced section.